Open Source

 Open Source

Something that I've come to love about the developer community is the reality of Open Source. For instance, I use Ubuntu as my primary operating system. But, I mostly love the idea that a lot of people can work together and make something amazing. Ultimately, that's what open source is--multiple people coming together, bringing their ideas and skills, and building something together that would be incredibly hard to build alone. So, I'm excited to say that I've contributed to my first Open Source project!

Contribute to This Project

"Contribute to This Project (GitHub)" was the tool I used to walk me, step-by-step, through the process of adding my code to an open source project. It's a GitHub repository that allows you to add a very simple card with resources you've found helpful as a developer. If you scroll down a handful of rows (as of July 20th, 2021), you'll find my card (pictured below). It's a very simple project, but it feels good to go through the process of committing code to an Open Source project and then your code is out there in the wild.

Achievements Are Important

If you're struggling with learning to code, maybe find a project that isn't too big that you can tackle in a week or a day. Being able to write code that is "out there in the wild" or can "do something" (even if it's small) can be a huge confidence boost. I know I'm feeling that after completing this project.

Tim David


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confronting Busyness

My Coding Journey: Part 2

My Coding Journey: Part 1